Friday, January 13, 2006

Eine

In the East End of London there are some letters that only come out at night. They're painted on the shutters of some of the businesses in the area. I've been aware of them for a while and not really thought much about them. I'm not a big fan of graffiti in general but these seem quite inoffensive. They do no harm to anyone and if anything the shopfronts in question look more attractive with a big bold letter painted on them than without.

A couple of days ago I took a few pictures of a few clustered around the junction with Bethnal Green Road and Brick Lane. I ended up with ten letters snapped and I posted the pictures on flickr.com and wondered aloud - well, in text - whether there was a whole alphabet out there.

Of course, the minute I'd wondered whether or not there was an alphabet out there I knew that I would be going out again to hunt them down. With the help of some comments left on the pictures and with two more jaunts around the East End I managed to collect the set. Here they are.

I'm sure there was something more constructive I could have been doing with my time. Like some of that work that's piling up.

No comments: